Tilton Elementary School
We as a Tilton community will foster respectful, responsibile, and caring individuals. Tilton School will develop a positive atmosphere where staff, students, parents, and community members are respected, appreciated, encouraged, and supported. We will strive to positively touch the lives of children so that they reach their full potential and become life-long learners.
School supplies donated!
A HUGE Thank you ROAR to the Knights of Columbus for their donation of backpacks full of supplies in addition to boxes of school supplies for our students! Ron Dube and Jay Januszewski of the Knights of Columbus are are shown below with Principal Bonnie Antkowiak and a sample of their donation.
We will also be receiving backpack and school supply donations from the Parker Hannifin Corporation who generously donated backpacks and supplies to Tilton last year as well.
We are so grateful to have such wonderful community partners to support Tilton School. THANK YOU ALL!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Tilton School Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Arrival and dismissal make Grove Street a very busy place here at Tilton School. In order to help maintain order and have a safe environment for all, we have some guidelines on our arrival/dismissal procedure for parents.
- Student drop off begins at 8:30 for students needing to have school breakfast. Breakfast is free and available to all students.
- Students not having school breakfast can be dropped off at 8:45 but no earlier.
- Cars will not be allowed to park on Grove Street or in the school parking lot.
- Cars are allowed to drop off students only in the designated area (sidewalk in front of school on Grove Street designated by cones).
- Parents are to stay in their cars and pull up to the Student drop off sidewalk where teachers will be waiting for students.
- Cars will pull over to the side of Grove Street and patiently wait their turn to pull up to the student drop off section of the sidewalk. Staff will be there to direct you.
- Students will walk around the back of the building to the play yard or to the cafeteria for breakfast. Teachers will be stationed all along the way to help the students get to the play yard or cafeteria safely.
- Please have students ready to exit the car when you pull up to the sidewalk.
- Students getting picked up will be brought to the pick up area (sidewalk in front of the school on Grove St.) at 3:15.
- Administrators and teachers will be out directing cars pulling up to sidewalk. Please look for these people to assist you.
- Cars will pull up to the sidewalk. Please look for teachers directing you to pull all the way forward so cars can pull in behind you to keep the line moving. No Reversing when in the line!
- Cars will line up all the way down Grove Street patiently waiting to pull up to the pick up area.
- Teachers will help students into cars once the car pulls up safely to the sidewalk (Remember back seat is safest for children under 12!)
- Students will not be allowed to cross the street to cars on the other side of the street or to the parking lot.
- Dismissal time will begin at 3:15 but in order to help with the overcrowding, please feel free to stagger your time between 3:15-3:25
- Another option is to have your child ride the bus. If you’d like more information please call Coppola Bus Company at (978) 373-9891
- Student safety is Our Number 1 Priority and we understand that this will require continued patience on everyone’s part.
Thank you for your support, Tilton Staff
Bonnie Antkowiak-Principal, Meg Fitzgerald and Erin Mackay-Assistant Principals
Procedimientos para La Salida y Entrada a la Escuela Tilton
La hora de entrada y salida de la escuela hacen de la Calle Grove un lugar muy transitado, aquí en la Escuela Tilton. Con el fin de ayudar a mantener el orden y ofrecer un ambiente seguro para todos, hemos implementado algunos procedimientos para los padres, para la hora de llegada/salida de la escuela:
Hora de Llegada:
- La hora para dejar a los estudiantes comienza a las 8:30 para los estudiantes que necesitan el desayuno escolar. El desayuno es gratis y disponible a todos los estudiantes.
- Los estudiantes que no desayunan en la escuela pueden ser dejados a las 8:45, pero no antes.
- A los carros no se les permite estacionarse en la Calle Grove ni en el estacionamiento escolar.
- A los carros se les permite dejar a los estudiantes únicamente en las áreas designadas (la acera al frente de la escuela, en la Calle Grove, designada por los conos).
- Los padres necesitan permanecer en sus carros y avanzar por la acera al área de dejada de estudiantes, donde los maestros estarán esperando por los estudiantes.
- Los carros se acercarán al lado de la Calle Grove y pacientemente esperarán su turno para acercarse al área de la acera de dejada de estudiantes. El personal le dirigirá sobre lo que tiene que hacer.
- Los estudiantes caminarán por la parte de atrás del edificio al área de juegos o a la cafetería para desayunar. Los maestros estarán ubicados en diferentes puntos para ayudar a los estudiantes a dirigirse seguramente, ya sea a la cafetería o al área de juegos.
- Por favor asegúrese que los estudiantes están preparados para salir del carro cuando usted avance hacia la acera.
Hora de Salida:
- Los estudiantes que son recogidos de la escuela serán llevados al área de recogida de estudiantes (la acera en frente de la escuela, en la Calle Grove) a las 3:15.
- Los administradores y los maestros estarán afuera dirigiendo a los carros para que avancen hacia la acera. Por favor búsquelos a ellos para que le asistan.
- Los carros avanzarán hacia la cera. Por favor busque a los maestros para que le indiquen que se dirija hacia adelante, para que los carros detrás de usted puedan avanzar y mantener la línea en movimiento. ¡No puede reversar una vez este en la línea!
- Los carros estarán en línea por la Calle Grove esperando pacientemente que les indiquen que avancen al área de recogida de estudiantes.
- Los maestros ayudarán a los estudiantes a subirse a los carros una vez estos avancen con precaución por el lado de la acera. (¡Recuerde que el asiente trasero es el más seguro para los niños menores de 12!)
- A los estudiantes no se les permitirá cruzar la calle hacia carros que estén estacionados en el lado opuesto del estacionamiento.
- La hora de salida comienza a las 3:15 pero con el fin de aliviar el tráfico, por favor alterne su tiempo de 3:15 a 3:25
- Otra opción es que su hijo tome el bus. Si desea más información al respecto, por favor llame a la Compañía de Buses Coppola al
- La seguridad de los estudiantes es Nuestra Prioridad Número 1 y entendemos que este requerirá paciencia continua de parte de todos.
Gracias por su apoyo, El Personal de Tilton
Bonnie Antkowiak-Principal, Meg Fitzgerald y Erin MacKay-Asistentes al Principal
Uniform Sale dates and times
Uniform Sales will take place on:
Wednesday 8/19 from 12:00pm-2:00pm
Thursday 8/20 from 9:00am-10:30am
Friday 8/21 from 9:00am-11:00am
Shirts will also be sold during the open house on August 31st from 4:30-6:00.
Shirts are $6. Selling short sleeve t-shirts with Tilton Tiger logo.
Uniforms will be sold in the cafeteria. Due to construction in the building, please use Door #9 closest to the playground.
Tilton School Uniform:
Tilton Tiger t-shirt OR any solid Royal blue/navy t-shirt or polo shirt
Dark or Khaki bottoms. No pajama style pants.
No flip flops. Sandals must have a back strap.
We would like to send out a huge Tilton Tiger Thank You Roar to Srybny Farms for their donation of 25 geranium plants for our front walkway! We are still looking for more plant and bark mulch donations if you or anyone you know are interested in helping out. Thank you again Srybny Farms!
Uniform Sale delayed
Uniform sales have been delayed. We hope to have the sale up and running by Wednesday. We will be selling short sleeve shirts. We do not have Polo shirts at this time. Shirts are $6. Please check back for updates or check out our Facebook page. There is a link to our page on the right hand side of our main page here.
Tilton Tiger July Updates
Summer School: We have one more week of Summer School and the students are working hard! They have come to school on time and ready to learn. We know that they will be ready for the new school year in September.
Uniforms will be on sale August 19th from 12:00pm-2:00pm
August 20th from 9:00am-10:30am and August 21st from 9:00-11:00.
They will also be on sale during Open House.
Uniforms: Tilton Tiger Shirt ($6)/Royal Navy Shirt
Bottoms: Khakis or Dark Pants (no pajama bottoms allowed)
When: August 31st
Time: 4:30pm to 6pm
Summer reading lists are on the school website
Keep reading and recording what you read!
BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR PAW PATROL!
The Tilton Staff will be boarding busses and going to Tilton neighborhoods on August 31st from 11am to 1pm to welcome students back to school! When you see us we will be giving out PAW PATROL tickets to students. These tickets can be entered at a raffle during open house that night!
We miss you all !
Keep reading and have a safe, relaxing summer!
Mrs. Bonnie Antkowiak, Principal & the Tilton School Staff
2015-2016 School Supply Lists
It’s hard to believe another school year is fast approaching! Below, please find a link to our supply lists for the upcoming school year. More information regarding open house, uniform sales, and the Paw Patrol will be coming. Check back soon for updates!
Summer Reading Lists
Please click the link below to access the summer reading lists.
Math Summer Work-Students entering Grade 5
PLEASE FIND YOUR CHILD’S SUMMER WORK BY FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS BELOW
REQUIRED BY ALL STUDENTS ENTERING GRADES 5,6,7,& 8
- Go to http://www.haverhill-ps.org/curriculum-department/mathematics/
If you do not have internet access, you may pick up a copy of the work at your child’s school.
- At the bottom of the page, open the Parent Information
- Open SUMMER WORK
- Open the folder for your child’s math class for next year
- Open the document(s) to see your child’s assignment(s)
- At the top of the page, click on the “Download” symbol … it looks like an upside-down arrow
- At the bottom, click “open” to see the assignment that can be saved and/or printed
- The work is due to your next year’s teacher when you return to school September 1st
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO GO ONLINE, PAPER COPIES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL BY END OF JUNE.
- Go to http://www.haverhill-ps.org/curriculum-department/mathematics/
Tilton School Principal’s Newsletter: May 25, 2015
Please take a moment to read some curriculum highlights from each grade level team at Tilton School.
The Kindergarten team has been buzzing with excitement this month. Children have been studying about all types of insects. We have researched the butterfly, its life cycle and habitat. Classrooms are eagerly watching caterpillars grow and change into butterflies right before our eyes. Students have been recording observations into butterfly journals each day. Kindergarten has also conducted an author study on Eric Carle. In math, classrooms have just completed an exciting unit on composing and decomposing numbers and are now working on comparing different objects by attributes. Students continue to strengthen their skills in Writers Workshop. We have been working consistently on interactive writing pieces as well as adding more details to our stories. Each classroom also implements a weekly cooperative learning piece on a book that is familiar to students. During this time, students discuss story elements such as characters, setting, problem and the solution of the story. Students truly enjoy this time each week and it enables them to have in depth discussions with peers about their ideas.
First grade team is currently working on the life cycle of butterflies and plants. Thank you to the PTO for supplying our classes with the caterpillars to raise and observe. In math, students are collecting data to graph and then we’ll be moving on to geometric shapes. As writers, students are working on informational pieces about animals. The first graders continue to work hard in preparation for second grade!
Second graders are immersed in a literature unit on folktales. Students are listening to, reading, and analyzing popular folktales and fairytales, including Stone Soup, Hansel and Gretel, and The Three Little Pigs. In science, students are learning about the different states of matter. Finally, in math students are studying geometry. Students are learning how to manipulate shapes to create other shapes, and are also learning how to divide shapes into equal parts to prepare for studying fractions in the upper grades.
Third Grade is working with informational texts and reading folk tales. Writing block includes research and biographies. In Math students worked on reviewing for PARCC testing and the next unit will be measurement and data and end of the year review. In science, students are learning about the States of Matter as well as properties of objects. Children are also studying and learning about Massachusetts in the American Revolution in our social studies unit. This topic will be followed up with a culminating field trip to the Boston Tea Party Museum on 6/16.
Fourth Grade is working on measurement conversions and problem solving as well as measuring angles and classifying shapes in math. During the ELA block, students are working on research writing and reading and writing about what has been read. Students have also had practice comparing two texts as part of PARCC practice. In Science, students are studying about the parts of a plant and their functions as well as focusing on plant adaptations. Social Studies has centered around studying the regions of the United States with special focus on the Northeast and Southeast regions.
Families are welcome to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new playground on Monday, June 15th at 10:00am. Thank you to the City of Haverhill, Community Development Office and Pentucket Bank for their generous donation to the new playground. See the reverse side of this paper to view the monthly calendar and upcoming events. As always, don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact the main office at Tilton School at (978) 374-3475.
Mrs. Maureen Gray, Principal
Mrs. Erin Mackay, Assistant Principal