Tilton Elementary School
January 5, 2015
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact the main office at Tilton School at (978) 374-3475.
Mrs. Maureen Gray, Principal
Mrs. Erin Mackay, Assistant Principal
Danielle Niles Visits Tilton!
Click the link below for details regarding our visit with Danielle Niles! Be sure to tune in to see our Tilton Tigers!
Patriots Red, White, and Blue Day!
Discovery Club Service Project
Students at Tilton School’s Discovery program were working on a Community Service project with literacy as a foundation. This special project incorporated literacy, art, and community service.
- Introduction: Children in grades 1-4 were read the book: The Pumpkin Quilt by Deborah Turney Zagwyn – Briefly: A young girl cuts squares from her beloved quilt to cover pumpkins in her family pumpkin patch so that they won’t freeze and can be carved into jack-o-lanterns. The pumpkins are grateful for her care and she learns a valuable lesson about giving.
- Phase I: Children gave a written response. Grades 1&2 wrote about a cherished item. Grades 3&4 wrote from the perspective of the pumpkins in the story.
- Phase 2: Children made “quilt squares” to cover their writing. All quilts were mounted for display in the school. Visitors are encouraged to lift the quilt squares and read the paragraph that is covered.
- Phase 3: Children worked on making blankets (large and small) to donate to the Haverhill Community.
- Culminating Activity: Members of The Haverhill Fire Department came in to accept the donation of a dozen large sized blankets. The Firefighters told the students that they would carry the blankets on the fire truck and when they encountered people who needed to be warm (whether from a fire or car accident) they would proudly give the blankets that the children made. The smaller blankets were donated to the Pregnancy Care Center on Main St. in Haverhill.
Mrs. Patti Sullivan and Mrs. Jill Whelan designed and led this in-depth project for all students enrolled in Tilton’s Discovery Club program. Discovery Club at Tilton School is held 5 days a week from the close of school until 5:15 p.m.. Currently there are 80 students enrolled in the afternoon program.
Quotes from students:
“I like the idea that we are being helpful to others.” Brayden Guertin-Dit-Milette (gr 4)
“I really liked designing my quilt and writing my story.” Jennalyse Sierra (gr 4)
“We did this project to help people with our blankets. I liked making the blankets and I really liked tying the knots!” Erick Merino (gr 4)
Tips to help your childDear Parents/Guardians of students in grades K-1,Did you know?Research shows that children who read to—or with—someone at home make more progress than those who don’t share reading at home.Becoming a successful reader and writer has been shown to be the most important ability for later success in education, employment and future life.It all starts at home with young children communicating with siblings and adults. Talking helps children expand their vocabulary and understanding of the world. And it helps them develop as readers.Now, here are some things you can do to help make reading more enjoyable for your child:
You can also help at home to develop your child’s interest in writing. Writing should be fun! When your child draws a picture, encourage him/her to write something about the picture. Praise your child’s efforts and don’t expect all the words to be spelled correctly.These are some things you can do to make writing enjoyable for your child:
- Read to your child before bedtime.
- Turn the TV off when you are reading to your child.
- Talk about the story and the pictures while you read. Ask your child to find things in the pictures.
- Let your child read along, even if he or she is not really reading.
- Praise your child’s interest in the story.
- Supply some blank paper and crayons, pencils or markers for your child to use.
- Encourage your child to write lists, telephone messages, letters, stories, etc.
- Ask your child read his/her writing to you.
- Make labels for things in your house or things your child draws.
- Write letters or cards to each other.
- Make a list of things together, such as things-to-do or a shopping list.
- Help your child with his/her homework.
Lost and Found
We have quite a large number of items in our Lost and Found box. Please encourage your child to check the box if he/she is missing an item. We also encourage you to mark the tags of any jackets, sweaters, or other items with your child’s initials and room number so that when they are found, we can return them directly to the classroom.
Thanks to all of our wonderful supporters, we were able to raise over $1500 during our Walk-A-Thon. Your generosity will help us build up our classroom libraries and provide enriching curriculum to our students. A huge thank you to all of our parent volunteers for helping our Walk-A-Thon go off without a hitch. A few raindrops couldn’t stop our Tilton Tigers!
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Tilton School will be supporting the fight against breast cancer this Friday! Wear something pink to show your support. It can be a shirt, shoes, pants, bracelet. If it’s pink, wear it!
Cross Country team places 2nd!
Congratulations to our 4th grade cross country runners and their coach, Ms. Hostetter! They placed second at the district wide meet yesterday! Their hard work and practice has paid off. We look forward to hearing more about your amazing accomplishments!
New School Year Information
TILTON SCHOOL NEWS
Monday, August 25, 2014
Grades K-2: 3:30-4:30pm
Grades 3-4: 4:30-5:30pm
Tilton School Uniforms
Tops will be sold through Tilton School. We accept cash only.
• T-shirts (short sleeve) Youth size: $6.00 Adult size: $8.00
• T-shirts (long sleeve) Youth size: $8.50 Adult size: $10.00
Bottoms may be purchased by parent at any local retail store such as JC Penny, Walmart, or Old Navy. Please select a tan/ khaki or navy color. We kindly request no jeans, sweat pants, yoga pants, nylon/flannel pants.
Uniform TOP sale dates:
Location: Tilton School
Friday, August 15, 2014 1:00-2:30pm
Monday, August 18, 2014 4:00-5:30pm
Monday, August 25, 2014 (during the Open House)
Tilton School Supplies Wishlists
You can find suggestions for Classroom School Supplies here.